[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Smart Fine Print

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Nick Szabo wrote:

> The main thing offensive about cookies and cookie sharing is not that these
> features link information about the user's usage patterns (some users care
> about this, some don't) but that they undertake this important
> activity without the user's knowledge or consent.

<much deleted>

On a DOS/Windows machine it is easy to prevent cookies before they ever
turn into dough.  :)

Just edit the cookies.txt file to be empty (or delete it and touch it),
then set the read only attribute on the file. I wish I could say this is
cleverly ingenious of me, but it is not.  I picked it up from someone
else, and it works.  I went to doubleclick.net and ran around -- with nary
a cookie set.  They may keep other info, but cookies seems rather critical
to their scheme.

   -- Michael

Follow-Ups: References: